UGMA - Uniform Gift to Minors Act
The Uniform Gifts to Minors Act or UGMA allows for
a custodial account for minor children. Here are the
UGMA account basics.
Under ordinary rules, minors can’t own investments like stocks, bonds, or mutual funds because they’re
not allowed to sign contracts. The Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA) makes it so that minors can own
these types of accounts without needing an attorney or a court order to create a trust. That way parents
can gift assets to minor children.

The parent or other donor can create a custodial account for the minor child by appointing a custodian
and then giving the name and social security number for the minor child. Only one minor child can be the
beneficiary of a single UGMA trust. Only irrevocable gifts can be donated to the trust. Irrevocable gifts
cannot be given back to the donor. They also cannot be changed to a different beneficiary. The gift
avoids probate once the donor passes away since the minor child owns it. Once the gift has been made,
the minor child is the owner, but the custodian controls it until the minor reaches age 18 or 21 depending
on which state.

Funds in a UGMA trust can be invested just like funds in any other type of account. The custodian, who
can be the parent or legal guardian or someone else, has the power to manage and invest the property
just as they would do with their own property, but they’re required to make “prudent” decisions about the
account. The custodian can withdraw money from the trust, even before the child reaches the age of
majority, as long as it’s to make purchase for the benefit of the child, but not for something that’s
considered a parental obligation, e.g. food, clothes, or shelter. Custodians typically need to keep record
of all transactions made with the property and they’re required to keep a copy of tax returns associated
with the account.

If the custodian passes away, then a new custodian must
be named for the account. This is especially important if
the parent was the original custodian and the minor child
doesn’t want the new legal guardian to control the trust.
Parents can often use their will to name a custodian to
exceed them in their death. Sometimes the custodian
names a successor when the account is set up, but if
that doesn’t happen, the minor child may be able to
name their own successor depending on state law.

Withdrawals from an account established under the
UGMA are subject to tax based on the child’s tax rate.
In addition, earnings are subject to Federal income and
capital gains tax for the child, not for the custodian or the donor. Minors over age 14 are required to sign
their own tax returns.

Once the child reaches the age of majority in their state, they have complete rights to the funds in the
account. They can use the money in any way they wish since parents nor custodians are allowed to make
restrictions on how the account can be used.

There may be other drawbacks to establishing a UGMA. For example, the child may not qualify for
financial aid based on the amount of assets in the trust account, even if the child would qualify based on
the parents’ financial status. On the other hand, parents might set up the UGMA trust to specifically save
for the child’s college education. There are higher limits on gift deductions for donations to a UGMA trust
and there’s no penalty on the account if the child doesn’t use the money to pay for college.

The Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (
UTMA) is similar to the UGMA, except that is allows minors to be
gifted with property other than cash or securities, like real estate and art.

Before you set up a trust for your child, make sure your state has adopted the UGMA.
Copyright © 2011 The Money All rights reserved.
participate in any particular trading strategy. The Money Alert does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any
information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to this web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility. All such information is provided solely for
convenience purposes only. The Money Alert is not affiliated with any of the firms or entities listed unless specifically stated. The Money Alert does not provide investment, tax or legal
advice. Please consult the appropriate professional regarding your personal situation.